7.25.2011

Cheese, Apples, and Peaches

Joe gets randomly inspired to cook things. One day it'll be dan dan mein, another day it'll be canned jam. This time around, it was homemade ricotta cheese. I was dubious. I mean, seriously, you're gonna make cheese? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. But after only two ingredients (milk and lemon), and a little cheesecloth to strain, the ricotta formed and it formed good! He made a pancetta, ricotta, pea pasta to eat for dinner. So creamy and fresh, it makes us never want to eat another kind of ricotta again! Here's a photo of the ricotta hanging and straining. Of course I had to put Tristan next to it for scale purposes.








On an ambitious Friday, I cooked for 9 people. How we squeezed into this tiny apartment, I still don't understand. But we did. And I made this gorgeous apple crostata again. Always a crowd pleaser, and so easy on the eyes:










 Kimi, Joe, baby, and I decided to go peach picking in Brentwood, CA. So we drove to McKinney Farms. I don't know what I was preparing for: maybe intense heat, harsh conditions, you know, agricultural farming stuff. But you just pull your car up, grab a box, walk 10 feet to a tree, and pull the peaches off the trees. It was even easier then walking to May Wah to buy groceries. While Kimi and Joe picked, I fed Tristan a juicy one, and he ate the whole thing. Course, he got 50% on his shirt, but the other 50% made him so happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment