5.10.2011

My First Mother's Day

Last year, around this time, I tried to convince Joe that it was technically my 1st Mother's Day, being pregnant and all. Thought maybe I could squeeze out a present. But he didn't bite.

But this past Sunday, we celebrated my for reals 1st Mother's Day.The morning began with homemade waffles and strawberry jam, a dozen peach roses, and a big box from Williams Sonoma. Upon opening it, I discovered an oval 6.75 quart Le Creuset oval dutch oven, in the newest, most gorgeous color: Linen. My favorite part though was a card, signed by my son. Well, more like scribbled, but whatever.

Then we headed to Morimoto, Napa to celebrate with the 'rents, Boo-Boo, Jordan, and Auntie Jane's family. The restaurant decor was beautiful; I especially loved the teak wood sink in the bathroom. Tristan sat in a highchair all by his little self, too. What a big boy!













Fancy clear chopsticks. So cool.














My Mom had the chirashi bowl and Auntie Jane and I had the seared yellowtail bibimbap.







After returning home, I realized that I had no pictures with my son, and no pictures with my Mom to remember this day. =( So I made Joe take this one.


At the end of the day, Joe conked out at 9pm, ready for bed. "I am soooo tired," he said. "I took care of him alllllllll day!"

Wow. Gold medal for doing what I do everyday.

Joe promptly fell asleep a 10pm, and didn't wake at all, even though Tristan and I woke up three times that night. But despite my husband's clear lack of endurance, I love him and am extremely grateful for making my 1st Mother's Day amazing.

Mother's Day has new significance. Not only because I am a mom myself, but also the way that I see how my Mom raised me. Like they say, it's the hardest and most rewarding job in the world. There really is no such thing as a mother's love. Like I would jump off cliffs for my son, and I know Mom would do the same for me or Boo-Boo. It's this kind of unconditional, deep love that comes from the fathoms of your being. And my Mom always said, "you won't understand until you're a mom". Now I get it. Thank you, Mom, for everything you gave me and gave up for me.

And belated Happy Mother's Day to all the new and seasoned Moms!

No comments:

Post a Comment